Types of Abortion
There are two primary methods of abortion:
- Medical procedure commonly called the Abortion Pill: The Abortion Pill is a several step procedure that includes taking two different medications. The Abortion Pill can be taken up to 70 days after your first day of your last period.
- Surgical procedure: This procedure is performed in-clinic to terminate a pregnancy in the first, second, or third trimester.
Which method you choose depends on how far along you are in your pregnancy. Both types of abortion procedures come with risks. Therefore, you will need to make sure that you have given yourself the proper time to evaluate all of those factors before reaching your final decision.
If you are considering an abortion, please contact Gateway Express Testing today. We do not perform or refer for abortions, but our staff and volunteers are available to talk
with you about your options. We can help answer questions you may have.
Oklahoma State Laws
Heartbeat Informed Consent Act – 63 O.S. § 1-745.14
If your pregnancy is at least eight (8) weeks after fertilization, before you give informed consent to having an abortion, the abortion provider shall tell you that it may be possible to make the heartbeat of the unborn child audible for you to hear and ask you if you would like to hear the heartbeat. If you would like to hear the heartbeat, the abortion provider shall make the heartbeat of the unborn child audible for you to hear.
Gateway Express Testing offers medical-grade pregnancy tests and limited, non-diagnostic ultrasounds at no cost. Call our center to schedule a confidential appointment to speak with one of our client advocates.
Prohibited Abortions – 63 O.S. § 1-745.5
In Oklahoma, an abortion cannot be performed on you if you are twenty (20) weeks pregnant or more, unless, you have a condition which so complicates your medical condition as to necessitate abortion of your pregnancy to avert your death or to avert serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function
No Abortion Without Voluntary and Informed Consent – 63 O.S. § 1-738.2
This information must be given to you at least 72 hours prior to the performance of the abortion.
- The name of the physician who will perform the abortion
- The medical risks associated with the particular abortion procedure to be employed • The probable gestational age of the unborn child at the time the abortion is to be performed • The medical risks associated with carrying your child to term Availability of free ultrasound imaging and heart tone monitoring facilities
- Medical assistance benefits may be available for prenatal care, childbirth, and neonatal care
- The father is liable to assist in the support of your child
- You have the option to review printed materials provided by the State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision, which include a Resource directory and Information Booklet
- You have the option to review the material via the Internet, www.awomansright.org